Monday, May 11, 2015

Please Don't Tell Me

Please don’t tell me.

I remember your sweet hesitant smile
a holding back of words in your heart 
and mind
You would often just blurt out the truth
of your feelings
I remember how you
captured everyone's attention at public events 
with a warm, appealing
sincere voice 

I can’t remember much about
our few dates. 

I was too conflicted. 

I remember the night we first tumbled 
in each other’s arms on 
the extra futon in someone’s
apartment on the East Side 
after a big fundraising party for 
gay social justice 
we drank wine 

talked and talked more 
and then I looked at the clock
it was too late 
to drive back to Brooklyn
or take the subway

Such a convenient excuse 

There you were perky, 
the bright eyed 
Catholic boarding school rebel
now a spokesperson for lesbian rights 

I couldn’t stop 
Didn't stop 

Yeah we kissed

Me first? You?
Each of us saying
"Is this okay?" 
and your OK was 
more confident than mine
because I had a feeling 
that you'd become one more 
Hello and Goodbye 
in the usual dyke drama stories 
linked to my drunken 
forgetting to say 
"oh by the way..."
when I said it was OK 
that we kiss 

I meant 
with me
not with her
you know 
the one who’s been playing house with me for two years 

I remember our passionate tussle
and how we whispered
And giggled as I compared 
this huge Manhattan apartment 
to my cubby hole in Brooklyn  

And how I gently touched those soft lips 
That could speak truth to power 
or sometimes just tremble in anger
as we all fighters for justice 
For dignity to our queer lives 
Observed the ongoing patterns of 
A world leveling hate in our direction 
And even blaming natural disasters
To the existence of openly gay living

And now as I remember you
And the brief moments of US
I do regret that we lost touch
That the years went by 
That you found love and marriage and had kids 
And then vanished only to surface 
In this odd notice in a magazine I rarely pick up
Where it mentioned you 
And your final illness and 
our community’s loss of 
A fearless voice for justice.

And the writer should have mentioned
That you had a beautiful smile and 
Really soft lips.  

Elvia (Sudasini) Arriola 
@Edited (2019) 

No comments: