Friday, May 14, 2021


Remembering my daddy as he lies in hospice. 


May 14, 2021 

I've been decluttering. And thinking about Dad and how much he says he's tired and ready to go.  But it's still not his time.  Found an old letter from Dad shortly after he visited me in New York City and stayed in my apartment in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.  He met my then girlfriend Clay, and he also met my new kitty cat Rachel.  In old photos it's clear that Rachel is still a kitten.  She'd been born in the spring and this was around the fall.  For sure it's 1985. 

He was a very independent visitor and tourist.  It was a dream for him to see New York City and to have the option to get around by walking or on subway trains.  I'll never forget how he arrived by plane from California to the Newark, New Jersey airport and took the train straight into the World Trade Center.  I had started working at the New York Attorney General's office in the summer.  The Department of Law would vacate those premises by October.   The twin towers are now gone.  Wow.  But in my memory we're still there, I'm working hard as a young lawyer in my beautiful office with large windows that look out on Battery Park and on the Statue of Liberty.  And Dad has called me and I am going down to the lobby to greet him and he's walking through the revolving door with a big big smile on his face.   He had a blast.  It was a big deal for me to introduce him to my new life, as someone involved with a woman.  I didn't have to use the term lesbian.  He figured it out and he was fine.   And I miss that energetic man.   So here's his perky letter to me following that visit: 
'











No comments: