Saturday, May 27, 2023

 THE PETRA SERIES - DOS


The stitched up toes 


When Petra, my abuela was 97 (circa 1989) she had surgery on her toes for bunions and ancient callouses. 

A woman who was always on her feet working or doing something involving the care of others finally had to sit and heal. 

I sent her a note with a drawing to make her smile that basically said,  With your legs up, if I were there I'd rub your toes, love and affection I'd give you with my hands, with my eyes that miss you I'd read you a story and these lips would pray to God that my sweet grandma get well soon.  I love you so much, your Ponquiria Elvia.  

She proceeded to edit my note, adding some smartass line to every one of mine: 

Not being able to kick anything but my pillows, you say you'd be here but I suspect you'd be out visiting your friends, that massage would certainly make me cry... Ohhhhh, would your eyes prove not to lie that you miss me? Yes, your storytelling would be a healing balm and if God hears your prayer I'll be well again and be able to cook your favorite rice. I hope your prayer is answered because because this ...really hurts. 





No comments: