Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Anniversary




it’s the anniversary today of my
throwing your ring away
amd  my surrendering to
the decision to finally let you go
it’s the anniversary of so many
precious and painful moments I remember
of us together or apart

it’s the anniversary of that
firey moment in my
tiny kitchen on a
freezing New Year’s Day
when my eyes locked into your stare
as I clutched at my cup of cider
and chatted with you about nothing
as I played the  hostess
and shyly let you follow me like an adorable pup
begging for my touch and a gentle hug

and it’s the anniversary of our
first little breakup (of more to come)
and my days of crazy thinking
that if I just kissed a few other people
I’d forget the way you’d broken my heart

of course
we know what happened
as my fragile will gave way 7 weeks later
to your  plaintive cry :
please oh please don’t leave me yet,
it’s your birthday
and a great time for making up”

and it’s also the anniversary
just a wisp of a year
after having been lovers
of immersing myself in the fantasy
that one day you and
I would truly work it out

and today still another year later
it’s the second day of a year
of knowing
that love is not about going crazy
or constantly breaking up
and that  forever as a lover
the memory of you
and your traitorous charm
are happily erased from my own precious life

yes, it’s the third anniversary of
my chance encounter
with a woman whose passion
wouldn’t let me go
and whose fear fought my
ever coming back 

oh how painfully sweet
I remember how we danced,
and made love
how we fed, and yes,
tortured each other

and how glad  I am to leave behind
the memories of
my hypnotic love
for your smile,
your wit and
your sneaking bittersweet charm

happy anniversary
dear memory
it was six months of passion and laughter
and two years of sobbing as
I crawled back to my own life

happy anniversary, love
I miss you

and then when I think about it
I don’t.



No comments: