Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Contemplative Walk




When you walked around the room
I saw you hurting
in the left foot
the look of uncertainty
clouding over you
I noticed the change
in your pace
as you slowed down
the need to make it right
as you remembered
oh, that’s just the critic again
cackling again
on its own rhythm and cycled return
you can tune it out
and I’m so glad that you did
Your arms then rose in prayer
to the heavens and the angels’ breath
filling the room
I saw your eyes tear
the warm river of release
I felt the stirring of an inner girl
of seven, eight and nine
at the ages of innocence, first knowings
and uncertainty
and I wept for her
as I weep for you
and I held her
the girl in you
who is the girl in me
with frightened eyes
and careful, too careful step
with a too adult need to make
things perfect
holding life in polished rooms
that she cleaned so well
trying to make Them happy
trying to stop their pain
so they might have the time
to notice hers
Yes, I saw all of this
in that tender step
as you walked this room
as you often walk through your life
and I heard you listen
to the sounds of love
from sweet music
to your own quiet sobs
and I loved the moments of holding
you and her in my mind
and the inner landscape
of my very soul


No comments: