Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Prairie Morning




I didn’t touch myself
Between the legs
This morning
As a gesture to think
Of you and our last embrace
In a bed together
Naked
Closed doors
Open hearts
Tumbling the sheets
And ourselves in the
Austin sweat of our hungry love

I didn’t call you to say good morning
I didn’t know for sure
Where you would be

I’m listening to the sound of music
From the next room
And the whirr of the fan
Where it always gets too hot 
And above the drone and strum
I’m trying to listen to my heart
To see what it says
About you and me
As I breathe and sigh into a
Lonely Dekalb morning
Feeling the changing breeze
From summer into fall
Passing through the kitchen screen
Raising the hairs of our long haired black cat
And sending him to a warmer spot
For his daily nap

I just wrote a while ago
That I didn’t want to go
Through my life asleep

But oh what a task it is to be
Awake and feel this
Slice of coldness served
On my bread of life
This morning
Without even a  spoonful of
Your honey
To comfort me today.

No comments: